In this course students will learn essential programming skills and techniques that are required to develop Windows Store apps. This includes a combination of both design and development skills, as well as ensuring that students are comfortable using and making the most of the Visual Studio and Expression Blend tools.
- 1 or more years of experience creating applications.
- 1–3 months experience creating Windows client applications.
- 1–3 months experience using Visual Studio 2010 or 2012.
Module 1: Overview of the Windows 8 Platform and Windows Store Apps
- Introduction to the Windows 8 Platform
- Windows 8 User Interface Principles
- WinRT and Language Projections
Module 2: Single-Page Applications and the MVVM Design Pattern
- Single-Page Applications
- The MVVM Design Pattern
Module 3: Using WinJS
- The WinJS Library
- WinJS APIs
Module 4: Implementing Layout using Windows 8 Built-In Controls
- Windows 8 Layout Controls
- Implementing WinJS Controls and Templates
- The AppBar Control
- Snap and Fill
Module 5: Presenting Data
- Working with Data Presentation Controls
- The ListView Control
Module 6: Handling Files in Windows Store Apps
- Handling Files and Streams in Windows Store apps
- Working with File User Interface Components
Module 7: Windows Store App Process Lifetime Management
- Process Lifetime Management
- Launching Windows Store Apps
- Implementing State Management Strategy
Module 8: Designing and Implementing Navigation in a Windows Store App
- Handling Navigation in Windows Store apps
- Semantic Zoom
Module 9: Implementing Windows 8 Contracts
- Designing for Charms and Contracts
- The Search Contract
- The Share Contract
- Managing App Settings and Preferences
Module 10: Implementing Tiles and User Notifications
- Implementing Tiles, Live Tiles, Secondary Tiles, and Badge Notifications
- Implementing Toast Notifications
Module 11: Designing and Implementing a Data Access Strategy
- Evaluating Data Access Strategies
- Working with Remote Data
Module 12: Responding to Mouse and Touch
- Working with Mouse Events
- Working with Gesture Events
Module 13: Planning for Windows Store App Deployment
- The Windows Store App Manifest
- Windows Store App Certification
- Windows 8 Enterprise App Deployment
- Describe the Windows 8 platform and features, and explore the basics of a Windows app interface.
- Create the User Interface layout and structure.
- Apply the MVVM pattern to application design.
- Implement the AppBar and layout controls.
- Use templates to create the UI.
- Use data binding to present data in the UI.
- Handle files and streams.
- Design and implement Process Lifetime Management (PLM).
- Handle navigation scenarios in a Windows Store app.
- Implement Semantic Zoom.
- Design and implement contracts such as Search, Share and Settings.
- Implement tiles and toast notifications in a Windows Store app.
- Respond to mouse, keyboard and touch events, including gestures.
- Deploy a Windows Store app to the Windows Store or an enterprise store.
This course is intended for professional developers who have 1 or more years of experience in creating applications.
- This course helps prepare candidates for Exam 70-481.
- MCSD: Windows Store Apps using HTML5