The course builds on the general principles covered as part of the ITIL® Foundation course. This enables the organisation to introduce Change Management, Release and Deployment Management, Service Validation and Testing, Service Asset and Configuration Management, Request Fulfilment, Service Evaluation and Knowledge Management as integral parts of its overall business-focussed Services Framework.
This course is assignment based, with a strong emphasis on practical coursework, working as individuals and in teams.
Delegates are required to hold the ITIL® V3 Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management or V2 to V3 bridge equivalent.
Before taking the course it is recommended, though not required, that candidates have exposure to basic concepts in IT and related work experience of at least two years.
It is recommended that students should complete at least 21 hours of personal study by reviewing the syllabus and relevant books in preparation for the examination.
- Service Management as a Practice.
- Processes across the Service Lifecycle pertaining to the capability of Release, Control and Validation management.
- Change management as a capability to realise successful service transition.
- Service validation and testing as a capability to assure the integrity and the quality of service transition.
- Service asset and configuration management as a capability to monitor the state of service transition.
- Knowledge management as part of enhancing the on-going management decision support and service delivery capability.
- Service request fulfilment and evaluation to assure meeting committed service level performance.
- Common Service Operation activities related to Release, Control and Validation processes.
- Organizing for Service Operation which describe functions to be performed within Release, Control and Validation processes.
- Release Control and Validation process roles and responsibilities.
- Technology and Implementation Considerations.
- Challenges, Critical Success Factors and risks.
- CSI as a consequence of effective Release, Control and Validation processes.
The purpose of Release, Control & Validation is to obtain knowledge on ITIL® terminology, process structure, roles, functions and activities that will enable role focused capability and competency in support of the Service Lifecycle approach as described in ITIL®.
The course provides delegates with practical guidance on the design and implementation of integrated end-to-end processes based on proven industry best practice guidelines.
The course prepares delegates for the ITIL® Capability examination in Release, Control & Validation.
The course is suitable for individuals who require a deep understanding of Release, Control & Validation processes and how they may be used to enhance the quality of IT service provision within an organisation. It offers a natural career development path for practitioner staff who already hold the ITIL® V3 Foundation Certificate or equivalent.
The course forms part of the ITIL® Intermediate qualification programme.
The examination will consist of a complex multiple choice, closed book paper of 8 questions, to be completed within 90 minutes. Candidates sitting the examination in English and who do not have English as their first language will be allowed 120 minutes to allow use of a dictionary. The pass mark will be 65% or more.
Successful candidates will be awarded4 credits towards the ITIL® Expert qualification.
Follow on Courses
Other ITIL® Service Capability courses (5-day)
- IOSA - ITIL® Service Capability: Operational Support & Analysis
- PPO - ITIL® Service Capability: Planning, Protect and Optimisation
- SOA - ITIL® Service Capability: Service Offerings & Agreements
ITIL® Service Lifecycle courses (3-day)
- LCSI - ITIL® Service Lifecycle: Continual Service Improvement
- LSD - ITIL® Service Lifecycle: Service Design
- LSO - ITIL® Service Lifecycle: Service Operation
- LSS - ITIL® Service Lifecycle: Service Strategy
- LST - ITIL® Service Lifecycle: Service Transition
Service Lifecycle Bootcamps (5-day)
- LSS-LSD - Service Lifecycle Bootcamp: Strategy & Design
- LST-LSO - Service Lifecycle Bootcamp: Transition & Operation
The course is based on the OGC’s Best Practice Guidelines in the ITIL® Service Lifecycle books. The books are available from the GK bookshop (http://www.gkbookshop.co.uk).
ITIL® is a Registered Trademark of The Office of Government Commerce (OGC).